- Tips for Parents - Tooth decay is the number one chronic infectious disease among children so focusing on prevention (ie good home oral hygiene) is key to keeping away the cavities.
- Halloween - Trick-or-Treating is fun but remember to make the best treat choices for healthy teeth.
- Holiday Habits - The holiday break is a great time to help your kids establish and maintain healthy dental habits.
- Tooth Trauma - Active kids are susceptible to tooth trauma so use this highly-visual, easy-to-follow guide so family members, coaches, and babysitters know what to do should a tooth be chipped or knocked out.
Online Dental Education Library
Our Ada Pediatric Dentistry team strives to improve the overall health of our patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions associated with your child's teeth and gums. Please use our dental library to learn more about dental problems and treatments available. If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, contact us.
- Use a circular motion to brush only two or three teeth at a time, gradually covering the entire mouth.
- Place the toothbrush next to the teeth at a 45-degree angle and gently brush in a circular motion - not up and down (this kind of motion wears down the tooth structure and can lead to receding gums, or expose the root of the tooth). Brush all surfaces of the teeth - front, back, top, and between other teeth, rocking the brush back and forth gently to remove any plaque growing under the gum.
- Don't forget the other surfaces of the mouth that are covered in bacteria - including the gums, the roof, and floor of the mouth, and most importantly, the tongue. Brushing the tongue removes trapped bacteria and other disease-causing germs and also freshens breath.
- Remember to replace the brush when the bristles begin to spread because a worn toothbrush will not properly clean the teeth.
- Effective brushing usually takes about three minutes. Believe it or not, studies have shown that most people rush during tooth brushing, spending less than a minute.