- Tips for Parents - Tooth decay is the number one chronic infectious disease among children so focusing on prevention (ie good home oral hygiene) is key to keeping away the cavities.
- Halloween - Trick-or-Treating is fun but remember to make the best treat choices for healthy teeth.
- Holiday Habits - The holiday break is a great time to help your kids establish and maintain healthy dental habits.
- Tooth Trauma - Active kids are susceptible to tooth trauma so use this highly-visual, easy-to-follow guide so family members, coaches, and babysitters know what to do should a tooth be chipped or knocked out.
Online Dental Education Library
Our Ada Pediatric Dentistry team strives to improve the overall health of our patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions associated with your child's teeth and gums. Please use our dental library to learn more about dental problems and treatments available. If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, contact us.
- A bat
- A ball
- A knee or elbow
- A hard surface, such as the ground or the bottom of a swimming pool
Even swimming, with all of its gentility, poses serious hazards for your child's teeth. Common swimming pool accidents occur when children, swimming underwater, quickly ascend to the surface, hitting the hard ledge, and loosening the front tooth. Running on slippery, slick cement and ceramic pool surfaces also can send your child headfirst into the ground, increasing the likelihood of a chipped or loose tooth.
According to the Academy of General Dentistry, many sports-related emergencies involving teeth can be avoided by following the rules and remembering dental first aid steps. If your child participates in any sports, a mouth guard is a smart investment. Mouth guards are soft plastic devices that fit over the front of your child's mouth, protecting his teeth, lips, cheeks, and gums from sports-related injuries. A well-fitting mouth guard can protect your child from injuries to the teeth, face, and even some severe injuries to the head.